If you are into website designing and building or if you too are a blogger then you might have come across with the term WHOIS. It is basically an online database consisting of all the details of the domain, its registrant, its registrar and the time and location of activating the domain. It has no full form or abbreviation as such, as it stands just for the two words ‘who is‘.
WHOIS in fact is a great service. But if you take a look at it in a way then you will understand that it is very crucial to keep some of the information that WHOIS provides private and hidden to normal users. So there are many options available to avoid this. These are called differently by various registrars. Namecheap calls it Privacy Protection, Godaddy calls it Private domain. These services can be great and will definitely let you a little loose when you think of hiding your information. But on the other hand they will cost you a little more then what you would normally pay. It is around 10$ per year as average on all the registrars.
As I was thinking what can be done with this, I just had one of the very easiest and working ideas. Here is a tutorial on how to do it and enjoy the service of a free WHOIS.
( There are two tutorials, one for an existing domain and the other for a new domain which is yet to be bought. )
Note – These tricks can only be done on Godaddy as the title says.
Get WHOIS Protection For Free On Godaddy
Add WHOIS on Existing Domain
- Make a new Godaddy account with your own details
- Open the Godaddy account which has the domain you want to add free WHOIS to.
- Open domain panel and select the domain you want to have a free WHOIS for.
- Click this option Manage DNS.
- This is something what it looks like.
- Click on the ‘Account Change‘ and then ‘Begin Account change‘ pop-up will be appear.
- When the pop-up opens, enter the email of the account you newly created. Also enter the username of that account. And most importantly select the option ‘Enter new details‘ in the ‘Domain’s contact information’ tab.
- And on this page you can add the details which are not true. This will help you mask your details.
- Once done press ‘Next’ and at the last page press ‘Finish’
Now once done you have your own domain on your new account and that too without your details changed. Now to get that domain back to your old account follow steps 3 to 7 but in the 7th step select the option ‘Do not change‘ in the ‘Domain’s contact information’ tab.
For a new domain –
- Open a new account on Godaddy.
- Enter the new domain you want to buy.
- Once you have landed on the enter your details page just enter whatever you have in your mind. Do not fear as I have done this at least 20 times till now.
- It should be something like this –
- After this simply enter your payment details and buy the domain. Now open the domain manager of this account.
- Here select your domain. On the top bar there will be a option named ‘More‘ click it and select ‘Begin Account Change‘.
- Now enter the details of your account, i.e. your email and username. And don’t forget to select the option ‘Do not change‘ in the ‘Domain’s contact information’ tab.
- Click ‘Next’ and and ‘Finish’ at the end. Now it will appear in your own account.
So here was a simple trick done to mask your important details and also not spend on it. This reveals the email too but the is the one which is used to register and isn’t used.
Thanks for reading. I hope this can be terribly useful for you. If you found this tutorial helpful for you then share your comments with us and share this article on social media along with your friends.