Is the hard drive is not showing in your PC? Then you have landed on the right page where you will get all the details on how fix this issue. Here you will know the right technique through which you can solve the External drive not showing up problem in your computer. For solving the problem you have to first find out why exactly it is happening in your PC.
This kind of external drive not showing problem happens due to various reasons. So first the problem must be diagnosed by you properly. After you recognise why this problem is happening and don’t know the solution then this post on our website will help with to solve it. So below I have provided the steps that will solve the hard drive not showing problem.
Hard Drive not showing up first responders
May be anyone is working too much on doing incorrect methods to fix this hard drive not showing problem but this can harm the hard drive or will create more trouble for you.
Here in this article I am going to provide you with a proper guide through which you can understand the problem. This process is applicable to drives like a My book or USB My Passport. It is applied to any hard drive that you will get from different brands.
There are various problems with the hard drive not showing here you can know about the similarities and differences between some of the common errors symptoms and messages of the not showing hard drive.
- “hard drive not in disk management”
- “hard drive not showing up in bios”
- “external hard disk not detected”
- “hard drive not spinning”
- “usb external hard drive not showing up”
In your computer you might be experiencing the above written one of the errors whenever you are plugging in to your hard drive.
Steps to fix External Drive not showing Up:
First do some troubleshooting to your Computer that may help you fix the error and will recognise the external drive of yours. So the following are the steps.
- First try the hard drive on another computer and see if it works or not. This will make sure that whether the hard drive is working.
- You can also use it in a different USB port this will tell you that whether the port is working or not.
- if you are using an USB hub then connect then connect the external drive of your to the computer directly because sometimes the USB hub doesn’t get that much power to run external drive.
- Try another cable if you are connecting the external hard drive with an cable. Sometimes the cable may be broken. An in that case it will not run on your computer using that cable.
After checking all these if you don’t get any problem then try the below written methods that will help you to fixing this problem of hard drive not showing.
Step !: Drive Partition:
First visit the disk management on your computer and check if there are any problems regarding the partition of the disk. If you get that the disk is not partitioned and is full with Unallocated space then try to make a partition on it. The following steps will help you to create a partition.
- Click on the Win+R keys on your keyboard simultaneously and then you will see a dialogue box on the screen.
- In the Run box enter diskmgmt.msc and click ok.
- Then right click on the unallocated space shown and then select the new simple volume .Then follow the steps shown automatically on your screen to create a partition.
Step 2: Assign Drive Letter:
First make sure that a drive latter is assigned to the drive. If it is not assigned then follow the steps below to do it.
- Select the drive and right click on it and then select change drive letter and paths. Check if the drive is online to perform the steps. Make the drive online if it is offline by just right clicking the disk number and select online.
- Then click on the add option shown.
- Then select the first drive letter by clicking on the ok button.
Step3: Drive is enable:
The windows operating system will not show it if the drive is somehow disabled. The following are the steps that will check whether the drive is disabling or enable.
- First you have to visit the device manager in your computer.
- There expand the disk drive category. Now check if the arrow is pointing down or not. if it is downward then it is disabled. To enable you have to double click on the name of the drive and then click on the enable device option.
- To finish, click on the next button.
Step 4: Drives Update:
This problem can happen due to corrupted drivers. When you visit the driver manager, check whether any yellow coloured exclamation mark is there with any of the drivers. If there is any then the drives has the problem and windows will not recognise the hard drive that you are using.
Then you can visit the website of the company that has manufactured your computer to get the latest updated drivers. Make sure that you know the correct model number and the version of OS of your computer before downloading the drivers. In this way you will get the drivers that you want for your PC and then it will run smoothly once again.
Hard Drive not showing might be a big problem but with the methods that I have shown above you will be able to fix it. There are some different methods that I have shown may be one of it will hit the target and solve your problem. So try each one of these until your hard drive not showing problem is solved.